The preservation of Sharjah’s rich history is a passion for Her Highness Sheikha Jawaher Al Qasimi. She has dedicated much of her life to the creation and support of organizations which seek to celebrate Sharjah’s Culture and encourage its development. Notably, Sheikha Jawaher played a central role in Sharjah being officially recognized as the Capital of Islamic Culture. Her other cultural contributions include:
Both of the following falls under the Culture Office:
- Marami Magazine
It is a monthly magazine published by the Supreme Council for Family Affairs and deals with family and social issues. It serves society and presents examples of stable family life and contains articles and essays which provide valuable advice and solutions for a range of social problems.
- The EmiratiWomenWriters Forum.
This is a forum organized by the Media and Cultural Affairs Office of the Supreme Council for Family Affairs for female writers in the UAE. It includes a variety of literary events throughout the year which showcase some of the most talented and prominent writers, poets and artists
The Forum hosts the following events:
- The Emirati Women’s Prize for Literature and Art. This aims to support those talented in the literary and artistic fields. In the literary field, the prize includes categories for: Classical Poetry, Gulf Poetry (Nabati) and Short Story.
- Al-Kalamwal-Nagham (Words and Melodies), a cultural celebration for the benefit of humanitarian work.
- The Annual National Media Forum: This is a forum in which Emirati and resident Arab journalists meet and host a media personality from outside the country as guest of honour of the Forum. A media issue is chosen by the participants and it is discussed so that different viewpoints come to light. It is interspersed with workshops and media activities on the fringes of the Forum.
- The Prize for Talented Secondary School Students. This prize aims to support students in the state secondary schools talented in the literary and artistic fields. In the literary field, the prize includes categories for: Classical Poetry, Gulf Poetry (Nabati) and Short Story.